Sunday, January 20, 2013

Who Are You?

     
     A book I once read said gay men were the best decorators.  We decorate the world, our lives, our bodies with one goal and that's to hide our real selves.  I thought that was very interesting because when you think about it we are international experts on style, fashion, etiquette, bodybuilding, art and design.  We are the masters of making things and people over. 

     Its something about being gay that really sharpens one's ability to decorate, mask, cover, dress up and/or design.  Could it be that we had first hand experiences with learning or feeling this "gay thing" is ugly and in order for us to be beautiful people we needed to decorate, mask, cover, dress up and/or design ourselves to people's liking.  We had to hide who we were to be accepted, liked, consider equal and respected.  The naked truth of a homosexual must remained covered!  We then began to let the wheels turn in our head to figure out how to create a beautiful, pleasing image.  We just wanted to be accepted and for some of us that was by any means necessary.

     We learned how to box up parts of us and showcase other parts.  For some of us this became a daily task of hiding one of the core elements of who we were from not only people that we love but from people who didn't even matter also.  We became masters at pretending, make believing!  It was the only way we could survive though. 

   Now think for a second you may even be guilty of this yourself but most gays today saturated themselves in saying things like;
I'm well traveled.
I have a master's degree.
I live in this neighborhood.
I work out 5xs a week.
I have a big dick.
I have a fat ass.
I wear nothing but the top of the line designer labels.
I drive this kind of car.
I know so and so personally.
I work here.

     From career to social status, muscles, dick size, ass size, clothing, car, where we've traveled to and where we live, we have used all these things to make us.  When introducing who we are these are the things said.n  Why?  One reason and that reason is to be accepted, admired, wanted, sought after and to feel great about us.  However, we hid the not so pretty things.  We lack the ability to truly be transparent because we've mastered costuming.

If someone asked you who are you, how would you introduce and articulate who you are?

2 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity and for the sake of conversation, if you ask a heterosexual person who they are, would their answer be any more transparent, or will the answers be I have (x) kids, they are on the honor roll at (x) school, I work at (XXXX), and I went to (XXXX) university...??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement unknown, but does that make it any better? Because a heterosexual answers the same way, it really only means we're all suffering from the same disease.

    ReplyDelete